Welcome! E Komo Mai!

As a college student in an ever changing world, I take comfort in knowing that I can always go home to Hawaii for some great local food. Food is a large part of the heart and soul of the Hawaiian Islands, and it reflects the melting pot of cultures that exist in Hawaii. I offer to you some of my favorite hot spots to eat cheap and ono (delicious) food on the islands, as well as some suggestions on how to recreate the local magic yourself!

2.20.2010

Zippy's

Ask anyone about a local style restauraunt, and I guarantee that Zippy’s will be one of the first names out of their mouths. Starting 40 years ago with only a single restaurant, Zippy's has grown to over 20 locations across Hawaii and into a successful catering business. Zippy’s is known for its chili- perfectly seasoned, meaty, midly spicy, and a recipe that is guarded with lock and key gives Zippy’s a distinctive taste and the best chili on the islands. It’s almost impossible to go to a local potluck and not have Zippy’s chili around (Zippy’s sells about 110 tons of chili a month!). But, besides the chili, Zippy’s has a extensive menu of all the local favorites: saimin, beef stew, chicken katsu, Loco Moco (hamburger steak with gravy and fried egg on rice), fried noodles, teri beef- the list goes on and on.


Zippy’s “Zip Pac” has also become a standard in Hawaii. The Zip Pac is a bento consisting of teri beef, fried chicken, mahi mahi and spam on a bed of rice and furikake (nori seasoning). I remember always having a Zip Pac after sports games as a kid, and till this day I still have a Zip Pac waiting for me in the car whenever I arrive home from college. Zippy’s has definitely become embedded in local culture, and remains a great late night stop for friends, because they are open 24/7.



One thing I would like to share is a recipe that is alllmost as good as Zippy’s Korean fried chicken- tasty, tender pieces of chicken fried to a golden crispy outside and dipped in a mild, spicy shoyu sauce. The chicken might not look very special, but for true foodies, beauty is never skin deep. It’s my favorite thing to get when I’m out for a late night snack with my friends and it's all of my friends’ favorite too. Enjoy!

5 pounds chicken wings
1 tsp Hawaiian salt
1 can beer (or 1/4 c. wine)

Soak chicken for 1/2 hour or more in mixture of beer & salt.
Drain and coat with Cornstarch. Fry crisp and dip in sauce one by one while still hot.

Sauce:
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
3 cloves garlic
1 green onion chopped
1 small red pepper (or pinch of cayenne pepper)
1 tsp sesame
seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment